This section of the Anglesey Coast Path traces the Afon Menai [Menai Straits] from Beaumaris as far as Stephenson’s Brittania Bridge. It leaves the coast for a while before dropping into Porthaethwy and a tour of the magnificent bridges that cross from the mainland.
October 2014 Telford’s 1826 Road Bridge - The path offers new perspectives of both the bridges to the island.
The stage is described walking clockwise around Anglesey- but can be walked in either direction.
Description of the walk
The walk starts on the green at Beaumaris and hugs the shore for a while, passing the pier and lifeboat house. On the southern limit of Beaumaris it turns inland and uphill - a continually steep climb gaining over 100m in height. Andy Lomas reckons the walk up to Llandegfan is steeper from Porthaethey, ie going anti-clockwise, but I think he needs to try it this way as well!
Following a drive the path veers off into open land with gorse, bracken, rock outcrops and the odd tree gathered in islands on an undulating carpet of green grass. A typical Anglesey landscape.
The path then emerges back on the road and into Llandegfan (the location of a party in October 1972 - which is well remembered) with views over Bangor and Bangor Pier. Porthaethwy follows and the path finally returns to the coast.
There are several family connections within a radius of 2-300m of St Georges Pier in Porthaethwy:
- a trip on the Menai Straits from St George’s Pier in 1949 for the Grundy and Ogden families.
- accommodation at Westbury Cottage on Fford y Coleg in 1973-73,
- an important meeting at the Victoria Hotel in late 1972!
The route takes you very close and under Telford’s bridge, once the ferry point to the mainland and where cattle were forced to swin across the straits..
The Belgian Promenade that follows was built by Belgian refugees after the First World War. This connects with Church Island (which is worth a detour) and the small church of St Tyslio. After a short return to the main road the path drops to Pwll Ceris [The Swellies] where the straits always appear to be formed of tormented writhing currents.
Finally magnificent views of Robert Stephenson’s Pont Britannia open up. Completed in 1850 and destroyed by fire in May 1970 - the damaged tubes were replaced a single track rail deck in 1972 and an upper road deck in 1980. Each end of the bridge is guarded by a pair of stone lions - though they are sadly over shadowed by the road deck today.
Places along the stage
|Stage terminus||Beaumaris||Bench on green|
|Passage point||Portaethwy [Menai Bridge]|
|Passage point||Telford’s Road Bridge|
|Passage point||Stephenson’s Rail Bridge|
|Stage terminus||Llanfairpwllgwyngyll||Carreg Bran Hotel entrance|
|Terrain type||moderate||part coastal|
|Lowest point||1||m [amsl]|
|Highest point||115||m [amsl]|
|Date walked||Who||Walking time hr||Av. speed kmh||Stoppage hr||Direction|
|30 October 2014||KJM, HMM||2.65 hours||4.2||1.25hr||clockwise|
Points of Interest
Getting there & back
We were staying in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and took the Bangor bus as far a Portaethwy [Wood Street] and then a 57 to Beaumaris [via Llandegfan].
Start: 30 October 2014
References & Links:
|20141226||Anglesey Coast Path [Anglesey Co Co]|
|20141226||Beaumaris Castle [Wikipedia]|
|20141226||Menai Suspension Bridge [Wikipedia]|
|20141226||Britannia Bridge [Wikipedia]|
Updated KJM 26 December 2014